Topic: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Replies: 25   Last Post: Feb 10, 1999 1:11 AM

Nathaniel Deeth

Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems

Simon Croall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the 21st century almost upon us;
>
> In a similar fashion to Hilbet's 23 problems but forward in 1900. What
> would be the problems that you think should be presented to challenge
> mathematicians of the 21st century?
>
> Who do you think is best qualified, currently, in the mathematics world
> to present these new/old problems?
>
> Thanks for your time..
> Simon Croall
> email : src103@york.ac.uk

I believe his original goal of finding a finite set of axioms and rules of
reasoning sufficiant to prove or disprove all theorems would quallify as a
worthy challenge.

Every definite mathematical problem must necessarily be susceptible of an
exact settlement, either in the form of an actual answer to the question
asked, or by the proof of the impossibility of its solution and therewith
the necessary failure of all attempts... However unapproachable these
problems may seem to us and however helpless we stand before them, we have,
neverthelesss, the firm conviction that their solution must follow by a
finite number of purely logical processes... "We hear within us the
perpetual call: There is the problem. Seek its solution. You can find it
by pure reason..." - Dave Hilbert.

Nathan the Great.
Age 11

Date Subject Author
2/4/99
Read 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Si Croall
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nico Benschop
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nathaniel Deeth
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Ingrid Voigt
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nathaniel Deeth
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Ingrid Voigt
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
David C. Ullrich
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Tangent60
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Anthony Crawley
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Clive Tooth
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
modern life is rubbish
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
John R Ramsden
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
RobXXVIII
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Mark-Jason Dominus
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
xxyzz
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/10/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Gerry Myerson