Topic: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Replies: 25   Last Post: Feb 10, 1999 1:11 AM

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems

Hi,

You seem to know more about this problem then I do. I was
thinking about Dirichlet boundary conditions on a smooth
bounded domain. I have been thinking quite a bit about
periodic boundary conditions on the cube. I got interested
in this about 3 years ago, and have since looked at the books
by Temam, Constantin and Foias, and Doerhing and Gibbons.

In the cases I am looking at, the problem really is to establish
reqularity of the solutions, that is, if initial data and the
forcing term is smooth, then so is the solution for all time.

None of these books mentioned the non-uniqueness of the flow
between rotating cylinders. Could you tell me more about that?

Thanks, Stephen

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building stephen@showme.missouri.edu

Phone (573) 882 4540
Fax (573) 882 1869

http://math.missouri.edu/~stephen

Date Subject Author
2/4/99
Read 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Si Croall
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nico Benschop
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nathaniel Deeth
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Ingrid Voigt
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Nathaniel Deeth
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Ingrid Voigt
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
David C. Ullrich
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Tangent60
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Anthony Crawley
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Clive Tooth
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
modern life is rubbish
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
John R Ramsden
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
RobXXVIII
2/7/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/5/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Mark-Jason Dominus
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
xxyzz
2/6/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Richard Carr
2/10/99
Read Re: 21st Century 'Hilbert' problems
Gerry Myerson