Topic: ADA?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Nov 24, 1999 4:55 PM

Helmut Zeisel

Re: ADA?

In article <383299F6.20F1E87F@nortelnetworks.com>, "P.G.Hamer" <P.G.Hamer@nortelnetworks.com> writes:
> Zeisel Helmut wrote:
>

>> Is there much numerical analysis done in ADA?
>> Could it be (at least in theory) an alternative to Fortran?
>> Are there any serios performance measurments?
>> Are there similiar problems like the aliasing problem in C/C++?

>I think that the usual rule applies. Look to see what language people
>adressing the same sort of problems as you have are using. Look to
>see what the big mathematical library developers are using (eg see
>netlib http://www.netlib.org & statlib http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/).

I checked, and clearly I did not find much.
I found something following the links
in www.adahome.com.

>Find
>out
>about compiler choice, availability, price, and performance in your
>sort of application.

At the moment, my interest is only a theoretic one.
AFAIK, ADA was designed as a general purpose language
that should also cover numerical analysis.
Why is it not used for that purpose?
Is it just because it has not (yet) reached the critical mass of programmers
or are there some "principal flaws" in the language
that make ADA unusable for numerical analysis?

Helmut

--

Date Subject Author
11/17/99