The Math Forum

Topic: ADA?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Nov 24, 1999 4:55 PM

Warner Bruns

Re: ADA?

<P.G.Hamer@nortelnetworks.com> writes:
> > Zeisel Helmut wrote:
> >

> >> Is there much numerical analysis done in ADA?
> >> Could it be (at least in theory) an alternative to Fortran?
> >> Are there any serios performance measurments?
> >> Are there similiar problems like the aliasing problem in C/C++?

> >I think that the usual rule applies. Look to see what language people
> >adressing the same sort of problems as you have are using. Look to
> >see what the big mathematical library developers are using (eg see
> >netlib http://www.netlib.org & statlib http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/).

> I checked, and clearly I did not find much.
> I found something following the links
> in www.adahome.com.
>

> >Find
> >out
> >about compiler choice, availability, price, and performance in your
> >sort of application.
> >

> At the moment, my interest is only a theoretic one.
> AFAIK, ADA was designed as a general purpose language
> that should also cover numerical analysis.
> Why is it not used for that purpose?
> Is it just because it has not (yet) reached the critical mass of programmers
> or are there some "principal flaws" in the language
> that make ADA unusable for numerical analysis?
>
> Helmut
>

> --

I was using Ada for numerical analysis.
I recently stopped that, since I could not find an Ada compiler
for a MPP (Cray T3E) that I have access to.
Actually this is a shame, since MPP's should be programmed
with the tasking constructs that Ada provides.
Also, I could not find an Ada Compiler for Linux on an Alpha-AXP.
There is GNAT for Alpha-OSF1, but I could not manage to port
it myself to the Linux-Alpha.
So, in my case, I do not use Ada any longer because of lack
of compilers.

Warner Bruns

Date Subject Author
11/17/99