The Math Forum

Topic: ADA?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Nov 24, 1999 4:55 PM

Warner Bruns

Re: ADA?

bruns@tetibm2.ee.TU-Berlin.DE (Warner Bruns) writes:

> > I was using Ada for numerical analysis.
> > I recently stopped that, since I could not find an Ada compiler
> > for a MPP (Cray T3E) that I have access to.
> > Actually this is a shame, since MPP's should be programmed
> > with the tasking constructs that Ada provides.
> > Also, I could not find an Ada Compiler for Linux on an Alpha-AXP.
> > There is GNAT for Alpha-OSF1, but I could not manage to port
> > it myself to the Linux-Alpha.
> > So, in my case, I do not use Ada any longer because of lack
> > of compilers.
> >

> Is the lack of compiler the only reason to stop using ADA?
>
> So overall, you made good experiences with ADA as language
> for numerical analysis, but stopped using it
> only for reasons that are not in the language itself?
>
> Helmut
>
> --

Correct.
Ada is my favorite language, but I have to compile for the named systems.
So in order to have a common source for my projects, I have abandoned Ada.
Its a pity.

About the "good experiences":
What I am doing is extremely memory bandwidth intensive.
My experience (on workstations) is that it does not matter at all which
programming language I use, since in the end effect the processor is waiting
for the slow memory. If the compiler is not that good, then the processor
just does some stupid things before waiting for the next datum to arrive
from the memory.
So, I choose the programming language that is the most convenient
for me. In principle that would be Ada, but ...

Warner

Date Subject Author
11/17/99
Read ADA?