Topic: German words for "number"
Replies: 25   Last Post: Feb 25, 1999 7:55 AM

Benjamin P. Carter

Re: German words for "number"

Ted R Shoemaker <shoematr@uwec.edu> writes:

>At least two words in the German language translate the English word
>"number": Zahl and Nummer. Can someone please tell me what is the
>distinction between them?

There is a book entitled "Zahlwort und Ziffer". Those are two more
German words that can be translated as "number".

>I already asked two German professors and consulted a German-English
>dictionary. They didn't answer the question. So, who better to ask
>about Zahlen than mathematicians? :)

Maybe you just have to learn the idioms one at a time before you will
know when to use "Zahl" and when to use "Nummer". It's like that for
"rug" vs. "carpet" in English.
--
Ben Carter

Date Subject Author
2/17/99
Read German words for "number"
Ted R Shoemaker
2/17/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Benjamin P. Carter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Richter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Ingrid Voigt
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Zeisel
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Dik T. Winter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Victor Eijkhout
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Zeisel
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
David Seaman
2/19/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Brian M. Scott
2/20/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
G. A. Edgar
2/20/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Brian M. Scott
2/21/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Paul Miller
2/21/99
Read Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Benjamin P. Carter
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Robin Chapman
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Jake Wildstrom
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Steven Pigeon
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Steve Leibel
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Edward C. Hook
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
2/25/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Timothy Murphy
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Keith Ellul
2/22/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Keith Ramsay