Topic: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Replies: 32   Last Post: Jun 4, 2004 2:30 PM

Mirko Vukovic

Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.1000419234628.6765A-100000@general5.asu.edu>,
John Hernlund <hernlund@imap3.asu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> > John Hernlund <hernlund@imap3.asu.edu> wrote:
> > > Hello There,
> > > I have been reading a lot of literature on the finite

difference
> > and finite
> > > element methods recently and have found a great variety of
opinions
> > regarding
> > > which is best for this or that problem. In programming both types
> > have
> > > found that both can produce nice results. I would like to hear
more
> > opinions
> > > on the matter however...
> > >
> > > What do you think?

> > I thing I am quoting here from the literature on simulation of wave
> > propagation in magnetized plasmas (ionized gas) which I read years

ago.

> > These problems in general have pairs of solutions, one growing, one
> > damping. In order to make sure that the growing one does not

over-whelm
> > the solution, one is supposed to use finite elements. I presume
that
> > the reason is that when you convert the PDE into a variational form,
you
> > take the boundary conditions into account, and thus suppress the
> > un-physical solution.

> You can accomplish this with finite differences also. In our PDE

class we
> took the fourier transform of a modified difference scheme which had a
> diffusion term and adjusted the parameters to obtain the correct decay

and
> dispersion for the waves. After that, everything ran just fine... As
> matter of fact, controlling these things in finite differences was far
easier
> than for finite elements.

Could you point me to a reference that deals with that example? I would
like to take a look.

Thanks,

(Now curious) Mirko

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Date Subject Author
4/10/00
Read Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
John Hernlund
4/11/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Pierre Asselin
4/11/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
William R. Frensley
4/12/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
John Hernlund
4/12/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
William R. Frensley
4/16/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
John Hernlund
4/12/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
John Hernlund
4/12/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Pierre Asselin
4/12/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Mirko Vukovic
4/18/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
telford@xenon.triode.net.au
4/20/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
William R. Frensley
4/20/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
John Hernlund
4/21/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Mirko Vukovic
4/24/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Arian Novruzi
4/26/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
telford@xenon.triode.net.au
4/27/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Arian Novruzi
4/28/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Peter Hansbo
4/28/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
William R. Frensley
4/27/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Mirko Vukovic
4/14/00
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Thomas Schliesch
4/17/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Shyam
4/17/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Carlos Felippa
4/17/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
J. W. Peterson
5/28/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Saad
5/28/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Edwin Robert Tisdale
5/29/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Phil Hobbs
6/1/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
nobat
6/2/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Peter Spellucci
6/3/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Carlos Felippa
6/3/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Tabon
6/3/04
Read Re: Finite Difference vs. Finite Element
Tabon
6/4/04