The Math Forum

Topic: Triple Prime.
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 18, 1996 2:05 AM

Ingo Dittmer

Re: Triple Prime.

In article <4pkpd3$2vp@netman-mel.dfci.harvard.edu> gotd@jimmy.harvard.edu (Godfrey Degamo) writes:
>Hello. I have a 'math-is-fun' book and I have solved all the starred
>problems in the current chapter, but an 'easy' one is the most difficult!
>Strange.

>Please give me a hint (solution not necessary -unless I go crazy ;) to
>the following math problem found in a 'math-is-fun' book. And, no,
>this isn't homework.

>A triple prime is a 3 consecutive odd numbers all prime.

>Prove that {3, 5, 7} is the only triple prime.

>Thanks.

>-Godfrey Degamo,
> gotd@jimmy.harvard.edu

Hint: one of {x, x+2, x+4} is divisible by 3.

But: For me are primes {x, x+2, x+6} and {x, x+4, x+6} triple primes, e.g.
{11, 13, 17}. And quadrupel primes are {x, x+2, x+6, x+8} like
{11, 13, 17, 19} or {101,103,107,109}.

Ingo Dittmer