Topic: Is "connected graphs" -> P(trees), G|->{spanning trees of G} one-to-one?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 15, 2004 11:00 AM

Dan Luecking

Re: Is "connected graphs" -> P(trees), G|->{spanning trees of G} one-to-one?

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:56:49 -0600, Dan Luecking <Look-In-Sig@uark.edu>
wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:20:59 +0100, "sasha"
><sashaLOESCHEDIESmal.REMOVEITexcite.com@news.sdt.net (AT)> wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone!
>>
>>For a given natural number m, is the map
>>
>>connected graphs with m edges -> power set of trees,
>>G |-> {spanning trees of G}
>>
>>one-to-one?

>Yes, for simple graphs. No, if loops or parallel edges are allowed:
>a graph with one loop and one simple edge has the same spanning tree
>as a graph with two edges connecting the same 2 vertices.

Oops. I suppose the latter has two spanning trees corresponding to
the two parallel edges. Replace this example with: G1 has a loop at x
and an edge from x to y. While G2 has an edge from x to y and a loop
at y.

One should always be clear what "different" and "same" mean. I clearly
wasn't.

Dan

--
Dan Luecking Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701