The Math Forum

Topic: WoMan's Greatest Ideas
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 17, 1996 7:29 PM

Tejay_The_Negotiator.

Re: WoMan's Greatest Ideas

mcps@grayfox.svs.com (phyllosophy) writes:

>In article <4pkq9i$2vt@platform.uoregon.edu>, cjones@gladstone.uoregon.edu
>(Christopher Michael Jones) wrote:

>> Whoa Whoa, WHOA!! Hold on there buckaroo. The Brain's "program" is not
>> determined by the DNA sequences needed to create the brain. The Brain
>> evolves and makes its own program. By saying that our DNA uniquely codes
>> our "brain programs" you are saying that babies do not need to learn or
>> know anything new. This is clearly wrong, and your method for
>> calculating the size of the brain's "program" is incorrect.
>>
>> : That's about the same as Windows95 or Microsoft Office.

>Yes. The fascinating thing about the brain is that not only does its
>innate hardware limit how complex a software program will run on it, but
>its software actually changes its hardware. As the brain develops its
>hardwiring up to about age 10 or 12, neural paths are being created
>through the thinking that goes on via the software programs. Connections
>are still being made and modified throughtout life, but most of later
>learning is just in software upgrades. So early education is CRITICALLY
>important if you want a faster processor!

I read somewhere, some science journal, that it continues well beyond the
age of 10 or 12. It suggested that challenging environmental
situations can actually improve the IQ of the individual.

So there you go folks. All you have to do is harder and harder questions,
and you simply get smarter. For now, and for your kids!

>True stuff. New stuff. From neuroscience.

>Phyllis

>--
>Phyllosophy
>For more philosophy, visit my web page at http://www.svs.com/users/mcps/