The Math Forum

Topic: Woe, Man's Greatest Ideas
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 17, 1996 7:36 PM

Tejay_The_Negotiator.

Re: Woe, Man's Greatest Ideas

gmark@grayfox.svs.com (G. Mark Stewart) writes:

>phyllosophy (mcps@grayfox.svs.com) wrote:
>: In article <4pkq9i$2vt@platform.uoregon.edu>, cjones@gladstone.uoregon.edu
>: (Christopher Michael Jones) wrote:

>: > Whoa Whoa, WHOA!! Hold on there buckaroo. The Brain's "program" is not
>: > determined by the DNA sequences needed to create the brain. The Brain
>: > evolves and makes its own program. By saying that our DNA uniquely codes
>: > our "brain programs" you are saying that babies do not need to learn or
>: > know anything new. This is clearly wrong, and your method for
>: > calculating the size of the brain's "program" is incorrect.
>: >
>: > : That's about the same as Windows95 or Microsoft Office.

>: Yes. The fascinating thing about the brain is that not only does its
>: innate hardware limit how complex a software program will run on it, but
>: its software actually changes its hardware. As the brain develops its
>: hardwiring up to about age 10 or 12, neural paths are being created
>: through the thinking that goes on via the software programs. Connections
>: are still being made and modified throughtout life, but most of later
>: learning is just in software upgrades. So early education is CRITICALLY
>: important if you want a faster processor!

>Also keep in mind that the structure of the brain's memories do not limit
>memory or processing to an amount proportional to the amount of data, but
>rather reuses much as "objects" or a "toolkit" which produces a phenomenon
>I find very similar to current data compression techniques.

>This is also, as you know, the reason the human mind naturally puts things
>into its "baskets" and "categories".

>I find it quite unfortunate that there are so many real and would-be social
>scientists and self-styled commenators that don't bother to follow these
>findings.

>: True stuff. New stuff. From neuroscience.

>True stuff. New stuff. From those little astrology deals rolled up in
>tubes at the gas station.

I find the Mackers paper mats fairly informing too :-)
Did you know they originally competed butt naked in the aincent olympics!

>Gotta stay current.

Yeah, keep with the flow.

>GMS
>http://www.svs.com/users/gmark

Tejay The Initiator.
m8904850@redback.co.rmit.edu.au

"Sensuality is the spice of young men and old rations."

"The greatest vice of all, lack of swill."