Topic: Data?and Dr. Zhang
Replies: 7   Last Post: Mar 20, 2001 1:16 PM

Fathers' Manifesto

Re: Data?and Dr. Zhang

Please note that the original point was not to build a case against using
computers to learn math, but only to be careful about the sequence. The
NAEP data could very well be telling us that children who learn math early
on don't develop their math skills as well as those who don't. Computer
science is definitely very instructive for those who already have proven
algebra, calculus, and probability and statistics skills, so you have to
question why it is that students who use computers score so much lower than
those who don't.

If it took us 20 years to figure out that calculators "had a negative effect
on students' learning of math", then we need to be careful about what stage
of math education computer science instruction begins, or we will never
figure out that computers have the same effect on learning as calculators
did.

With regard to improved math skills in the US, could you provide some
references?

Thx,

John Knight