Topic: Root
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jul 14, 1999 3:46 PM

randy

Re: Root (EXACT Square Root Algorithm)

philnovi wrote:

> This method for square roots is EXACT for the number of digits that you have
> the patience to use it to.

[snip a nice description of the method]

Yep, that's the method I learned. And I believe I saw an
analysis once that shows how it is equivalent to Newton-Raphson,
and how an analogous method can be developed for cube roots.
But on second thought, I'm not sure I believe that connection,
since Newton provably doubles the number of bits of accuracy
at each iteration, and this method converges more slowly.

- Randy