The Math Forum

Topic: Assessment
Replies: 59   Last Post: Feb 24, 2004 1:40 PM

Chris Mainhart

Re: Portfolios

On 24 Nov 98, Carol M. wrote re. Portfolios:

> I'm a first grade teacher who is new to Investigations and to
portfolio assessment. Portfolios seem like a great idea for older
children, but does it really work for 6 and 7 year-olds?
>It's easy to collect math work for portfolios but I'm not sure what
items are best to collect and then the big question is: once it's
collected, how do I assess it? Also, can first grade children really
help with choosing the items?

> Thanks,
> Carol
>
> Carol,

I believe that some investigations lend themselves to collecting and
assessing more so than others. Selecting specific investigations to
target as work samples to save in a portfolio takes some experience
with the materials. Which unit are you currently teaching? Perhaps
some other teachers will have some thoughts regarding this question.
One of the means to assess the work is to look at the assessment focus
questions that are included with many of the investigations. These
questions provide guidance with regard to the learning outcomes for
each lesson. At the beginning of each investigation the Mathematical
Emphasis also offers expectations for student performance.
Comparing student work with a colleague is a terrific way to determine
if the students are "getting it." With or without a colleague
present, a teacher can sort the work into 3 or 4 piles based upon the
criteria established in the assessment questions. After a few times
of sorting student work in this manner it will become more clear to
teachers which students seem to display an understanding of the
concepts on a regular basis and which students require additional
support.
Can first grade students help in the decision making process? Perhaps
not all students will have the same big picture approach to what "good
work" looks like, yet the goal is a valid one. Students will learn to
assess the quality of their work if they are asked to do so. If they
are not asked, they may not pause to reflect upon their performance.
The fact is that the teacher will have the final word on the contents
of the portfolio. However, it is a valuable experience to ask
students to begin thinking about the quality of their work.

Date Subject Author
10/12/98
Read Assessment
Chris Mainhart
11/24/98
Read Portfolios
Carol M.
12/3/98
Read Re: Portfolios
Chris Mainhart
4/15/99
Read Portfolio assessment
Amy Shea
4/16/99
Read Re: Portfolio Assessment
Chris
4/25/99
Read assessment
Rachel Boario
5/19/99
Read Please share
Rachel Boario
5/19/99
Read Re: Please share
Laurette Darling
5/21/99
Read Re: Please share
Rachelle Tome
3/30/00
Read Re: Please share
Cheryl Ogburn
6/26/00
Read Re: Re: Please share
Becky Knott
2/15/01
Read Re: Re: Please share
Connie Early
4/13/01
Read Re: Re: Please share
Sharon
2/5/02
Read Re: Re: Please share
Jolie Hendricks
10/14/99
Read assessment rubrics
RACHELLE TOME
6/19/00
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Becky Knott
8/22/00
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Jennifer
10/26/00
Read rubric from Rachelle's district on site
Wendy Gulley
10/26/00
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Mary Daily
2/15/01
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Connie Early
8/24/01
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Cynthia Seguin
5/2/02
Read Assessment Rubrics
Linda Marshall
10/4/02
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Jennifer
10/8/02
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Alma Biasiolli
10/9/02
Read Re: Re: assessment rubrics
Sarah Merrick
10/9/02
Read Re: Re: Re: assessment rubrics
Susan Surby
10/10/02
Read Re: Re: Re: assessment rubrics
Cynthia Garland-Dore
10/10/02
Read Re: Re: Re: Re: assessment rubrics
Amy
6/8/03
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Paula Montaquila
7/23/03
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Cheryl Slattery
7/30/03
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Jill Plummer
7/31/03
Read Re: Re: assessment rubrics
Rachelle Tome
8/1/03
Read Re: Re: Re: assessment rubrics
Remy Poon
10/3/03
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Jeanie Achord
2/23/04
Read Re: assessment rubrics
maria descamps
2/23/04
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Cynthia Garland-Dore
2/24/04
Read Re: assessment rubrics
Laurie King
2/4/00
Read report cards
Sue Tomford
3/30/00
Read assessing young students
Cheryl Ogburn
6/23/00
Read Creating a checklist for teachers
Alicia Socha
6/24/00
Read Re: Creating a checklist for teachers
Karen Fredricks
6/29/00
Read Re: Re: Creating a checklist for teachers
Mary Kay Archer
2/15/01
Read Re: Re: Re: Creating a checklist for teachers
Connie Early
8/22/00
Read Re: Creating a checklist for teachers
Jennifer
5/5/02
Read assessment
jolly
6/24/01
Read Rubrics
Jamie Hamada
7/24/01
Read assessment
Sharon Dentler
1/13/02
Read assessment/rubrics
Amy P.
1/13/02
Read Re: assessment/rubrics
Cindy Stogsdill
3/18/02
Read Teacher criteria with rubrics
Barbara Pezze
3/19/02
Read Re: Teacher criteria with rubrics
Judy Reed
5/1/02
Read portfolio
Kim
5/5/02
Read Re: portfolio
Rachelle Tome
5/7/02
Read Re: portfolio
Jill Laurila
5/8/02
Read Re: portfolio
Cindy Stogsdill
7/22/02
Read INVESTIGATIONS KINDERGARTEN Observational Checklist for Counting
Susan Daniel
11/27/02
Read Portfolios
Ray McQuire