Topic: This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics (Week 140)
Replies: 10   Last Post: Oct 27, 1999 9:53 PM

Barnaby Finch

Re: This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics (Week 140)

In article <7updac$d0r$1@info.service.rug.nl>, p.helbig@jb.man.ac.uk wrote:

> The problem being: Two trains are 60 miles apart and approaching each
> other at 30 miles per hour. There is a fly flying between the
> cowcatchers of each train, at 60 miles per hour, back and forth, turning
> around immediately. What is the total distance covered by the fly
> (relative to the ground, NOT taking the motion in opposite directions to
> cancel) until the trains hit?

60 miles?

Barnaby

[Moderator's note: Further discussion of this puzzle doesn't belong on
sci.physics.research, unless some additional physics content can be
injected. I would suggest that the thread be redirected to
rec.puzzles, but I think that bringing up an old chestnut like this
there would elicit some flames. -TB]