Topic: Introducing the United (fps) System
Replies: 87   Last Post: May 4, 2000 6:25 PM

Russell Harper

Re: Introducing the United (fps) System

Stephen Poley wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:40:55 +0100, RC <rc@earthpoetry.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >>In fact, a distinguishing characteristic between
> >>"serious" and "recreational" astronomy papers is
> >>whether they use parsecs or light years!

> Yes, I've noticed this - but is there any reason for it? I've never been
> able to fathom why a unit based on the diameter of the Earth's orbit should
> be superior to one based on its period of revolution.

Historical mostly, many of the sciences tend to be
very conservative, and historical conventions are
very resilient.

Suppose you write an astronomy paper. To make sure
the paper has a solid grounding, you have to cite
references of work done previously. To make
comparisons easier and to insure your paper is
cited, it's best if you use the same units. If an
astronomer way back used parsecs, cm & g, and
his/her paper was very important, then any paper
after that will use parsecs, cm & g.

Recreational articles don't have the same
restrictions, they are intended for a broader
audience, and will tend to use units that people
can relate to - km, miles, AU, tonnes, suns,
A-bombs, etc.

Russell

Date Subject Author
4/21/00
Read Introducing the United (fps) System
Donald G. Shead
4/21/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Mark Mallory
4/21/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Richard Carr
4/21/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Erik Max Francis
4/21/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Uncle Al
4/21/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Gregory L. Hansen
4/21/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
William L. Bahn
4/22/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
gandg@snet.net
4/22/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Gregory L. Hansen
4/22/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Uncle Al
4/23/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Michael Varney
4/22/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeffrey Gauch
4/22/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
RC
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Paul Richards
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Russell Harper
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jim Carr
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
briggs@eisner.decus.org
4/30/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Chris Thompson
4/22/00
[...]
Ben Kraines
4/23/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Donald G. Shead
4/23/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Ben Kraines
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Gregory L. Hansen
4/23/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
gandg@snet.net
4/23/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeffrey Gauch
4/23/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
theresa knott
4/24/00
[...]
Jeff Gauld
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
William L. Bahn
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Donald G. Shead
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeff Gauld
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
William L. Bahn
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeffrey Gauch
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
theresa knott
4/25/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Gene Nygaard
4/25/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
William L. Bahn
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeff Gauld
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeff Gauld
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Donald G. Shead
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeff Gauld
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
William L. Bahn
4/24/00
Read Uniform Field Teory
Ì. Òåëåãèí
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
gandg@snet.net
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Gregory L. Hansen
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
gandg@snet.net
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Gregory L. Hansen
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jeff Gauld
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Ben Kraines
4/24/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
RC
4/25/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Martyn Harrison
4/28/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Stephen Poley
4/28/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Paul Schlyter
4/29/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Jim Carr
4/30/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
Stephen Poley
5/1/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
briggs@eisner.decus.org
5/2/00
[...]
Mehdi TIBOUCHI
5/4/00
Read Re: Introducing the United (fps) System
David C. Baker
4/30/00