Topic: why .ps ?
Replies: 39   Last Post: Aug 9, 2000 3:13 PM

QSCGZ

Re: why .ps ?

Gerald A. Edgar wrote:

>> why is most mathematical online-information only available in
>> .ps or .dvi encrypted format ???

>{TeX, DVI, .ps} is the format most often used for electronic
>distrubution of mathematical papers.

wouldn't it be easier to create the papers in .txt format ?
Maybe it's even often done this way and then they are converted
and some additional specifications are added.
But then both versions could be put online with no additional work.

>The fact that they are
>also on-line is incidental. The papers were already in
>.dvi form and conversion to .ps is routine. They could be put
>on-line with no additional work.
>
>Probably PDF is currently best for on-line math.

yet you give no reasons nor do you address my counterarguments.
I just found another one:
- .ps files / formulas can't be easily integrated in computer programs
and it's harder for (future) ai-programs to read them.

>Most of my recent on-line preprints are available in
>PDF
>
>Perhaps when MathML or other mathematical systems
>are included as standard parts of web browsers, that system
>will become common.

still another format , sigh.

>> it seems to me , that mathematicians use .ps as an attribute of elitist
>> behaviour ; to make it difficult for outsiders to enter their domain.

>That may be a side-effect, but it is not the purpose.

I guess , it's about 50% ?!?

>Just as 50 years
>ago every mathematician was simply assumed to be able to read
>French, German, and Italian,

I doubt this. Certainly not _every_ mathematician.
And do you think, that this has changed now ? and why ?
Is TeX assumed to replace these languages ?

>so today every mathematician is assumed
>to use TeX for promulgating his work.

or .ps or .dvi or pdf or MathML or ...

--qscgz