Topic: why .ps ?
Replies: 39   Last Post: Aug 9, 2000 3:13 PM

Lynn Killingbeck

Re: why .ps ?

QSCGZ wrote:

> why is most mathematical online-information only available in
> .ps or .dvi encrypted format ???
>
> I assume , that .ps can handle pictures , greek letters , integral
> symbol etc. , but there are usually ways to do this in ASCII as well ,
> with only small decrease of readability.
>
> (snip)
>
> disappointed , qscgz .

!!!!!!!
On what do you base this claim? Pictures in ASCII? Greek letters in
ASCII? Integral symbols in ASCII? Oh, I can do etc. in ASCII - etc. -
but that's about it. With small decrease (well, if you consider nearly
unintelligible as small...)...

Perhaps you are trying to read these intermediate languages directly. If
so - don't do that! They are aimed at machine intelligibility, not at
human intelligibility. Use the appropriate viewer.

I don't speak TeX or PostScript languages, but understand that each is
far more capable that plain text, when viewed with the appropriate
viewer. I've written small papers with mutliple integrals and loads of
super- and sub-script stuff (such fun things as COV material, taking
partial derivatives with respect to y' and y'', for example), and can't
imaging conveying the content in plain-vanilla ASCII. (I used the
equation editor from Microsoft Word, some old version - and, frankly,
getting the things to look reasonable was, using the proper technical
jargon, a bitch.) ASCII and readable and your list (pictures, greek
letters, integral symbol, etc.) don't live in the same universe!

If I did much of this kind of papers, I'd invest the time (yes, I would
consider it a worthwhile investment) to learn TeX or some offshoot, and
lay out the money for a PostScript printer.

Have fun with your "my way is better than your way!" campaign. Signing
off from what looks like a troll thread.

Lynn Killingbeck