Topic: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
Replies: 40   Last Post: Mar 8, 2003 12:15 PM

xfly

Re: The straw man

On 27 Aug 1999, S. Jystad wrote:
>Newton Leibnitz wrote:
>(note that I am only quoting the relevant part of his posting)
>

>>Here is the part I always love to rub in
>>constructivism's face: Since constructivism (philosophically) says
>>that students must construct their own knowledge it implies
>>immediately that no one can instruct a teacher how to use
>>constructivism in the classroom (if you did, you would be
>>contradicting the theory). They must be allowed to construct their
>>own knowledge just as their students must. For instance, Jack's
>>teacher constructed his own knowledge of constructivism and

therefore
>>should be looked upon as a valid form of applied constructivism
>(since
>>it was constructed) whether you think it is misguided or not. If
>>this upsets you (and I am sure it does), then you are starting to

>feel
>>the rage that most mathematicians get when they hear stories of
>>children who are allowed to construct inherently wrong mathematics

in
>>classrooms run using constructivism. What is so humorous is that
the
>>constructivist philosophers are not even immune to their own theory.
>>But since it is their theory, they shouldn't wine when it is applied
>>correctly to produce principles which they detest - unless, of

>course,
>>the theorist are willing to admit that their theory is wrong.
>
>My version of constructivism says that (biochemically) (I think this
>corresponds to Jack's 'real world') a student constructs their own
>synapses which constitute the students knowledge. I challenge both NL
>and Jack to come up with a means to construct meaningful synapses in
>a student's brain by a method external to the student. The ability to
>give a student a shot which would replace a year of instruction would
>be an educational panacea, and a bit frightening.
>
>No where in constructivism have I ever read that 'Since the student
>constructed it, it must be correct.' Consider the tale of the blind
>men and the elephant. One constructs an understanding of an elephant
>as a rope, another as a tree, etc. They are all constructing

knowledge
>about an elephant that is incorrect. This applies equally well to
>constructivist theory in particular. One can construct their own
>knowledge of constructivism which is not a valid form of applied
>constructivism. Once constructed incorrectly by the instructor, it

can
>and probably will be applied with detrimental results to the
>classroom.
>
>Again, the straw man appears. You have successfully blown away a
>version of constructivism which does not exist. Well done!

Date Subject Author
8/12/99
Read Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
Zim Olson
8/12/99
Read Good intentions, but `Zim mathematics' is not mathematics.
Newton Leibniz
8/12/99
Read I see wholes in all Mathematical theory also
Zim Olson
8/14/99
Read Math and the dangerous Mr. Zim Olsen
Jack Jersawitz
8/15/99
Read dangerous ideas
Victor Steinbok
8/15/99
Read Huh? Whatchu talking about Willis?
Newton Leibniz
8/15/99
Read The central question
Jack Jersawitz
8/15/99
Read dangerous ideas and dangerous "mathematicians"
Jack Jersawitz
8/15/99
Read dangerous ideas and dangerous "mathematicians"
Jack Jersawitz
8/14/99
Read Mathematics and theory of knowledge
Jack Jersawitz
8/16/99
Read Math. Art dangerous to NCTM???!
Zim Olson
8/16/99
Read A full blown example
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read The GRAND FINALE to this topic!
Newton Leibniz
8/17/99
Read Why a Creative Axiom for Mathematics
Zim Olson
8/17/99
Read The pity of it is..
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read I'll buy that
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read The GRNAD FINALE: A Jack in every stable
Victor Steinbok
8/17/99
Read Snake oil and apricot pits
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read Snake oil and apricot pits
Jack Jersawitz
8/19/99
Read My last reply to Vic.
Newton Leibniz
8/19/99
Read Nonetheless
Jack Jersawitz
8/27/99
Read The straw man
Steve Jystad
8/28/99
Read Response to S. Jystad Part I
Newton Liebniz
8/28/99
Read Response to S. Jystad Part II
Newton Leibnitz
8/29/99
Read And classroom examples
Jack Jersawitz
8/29/99
Read And classroom examples
Jack Jersawitz
3/8/03
Read Re: The straw man
xfly
8/17/99
Read The GRNAD FINALE: A Jack in every stable
Victor Steinbok
12/15/02
Read Re: Math. Art dangerous to NCTM???! w/ new web address.
Zim Olson
8/16/99
Read Math. Art dangerous to NCTM???!
Zim Olson
8/27/99
Read Your philosophy site
Kirby Urner
8/28/99
Read Lack of Standard for Creative Mathematics for NCTM
Zim Olson
9/13/00
Read Re: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
wil
9/14/00
Read Explanation of some of Zim's ideas.
Zim Olson
9/24/00
Read Re: Explanation of some of Zim's ideas.
wil
9/24/00
Read Further explanation: Old paper of mine, 1997.
Zim Olson
9/30/00
Read Another example, Creative Math, Old Paper of Zim's Apr. 2000
Zim Olson
9/30/00
Read Re: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
Jack Jersawitz
10/8/00
Read System - Subsystem; Hierarchy & Definition. Answer attempt
Zim Olson
12/15/02
Read Re: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site.(New Address)
Zim Olson
1/17/03
Read New Zim Mathematics Web Site
Zim Olson