Topic: Testing Math Teachers
Replies: 42   Last Post: Sep 17, 2003 4:52 PM

[no author]

Watch Watch this User
Re: Testing Math Teachers - Unions take action

Who is the test contractor for this test?

On 01 Jul 2000, [no author] wrote:
>I for one will refuse to take any test mandated by this DOE. They
are>>(with few exceptions) a cabal of angry
>autocrats, conservative ideologues, and political hacks.

The Associated Press on July 1, 2000 carried this story at

<a>href="http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/183/metro/Unions_sue_to_halt_teacher_testing_plan-.shtml">http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/183/metro/Unions_sue_to_halt_teacher_testing_plan-.shtml

>><a
>href="http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?g0406_BC_MA--TeacherTesting&&news&newsflash-massachusetts">http://www.masslive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?g0406_BC_MA--TeacherTesting&&news&newsflash-massachusetts
>

>>Unions sue state over math teacher tests
By THEO EMERY
The Associated Press
6/30/00 8:59 PM

BOSTON (AP) -- The state's two largest teachers unions filed a
lawsuit>>in Suffolk Superior Court Friday to block the state Board of
>Education>from implementing tests for math teachers.

The complaint is not unexpected. The two unions, the Massachusetts
>Teachers Association and the Massachusetts Federation of Teachers,
>said in May that they intended to challenge the plan.

The suit alleges the testing plan is illegal because it conflicts
with>>the state's 1993 Education Reform Act and collective bargaining
laws,
>>and discriminates against certain teachers.
Neither MTA president Stephen E. Gorrie nor MFT president Kathy Kelly
>could be reached for comment Friday.

The testing plan, proposed by Gov. Paul Cellucci and then adopted by
>the state Board of Education, calls for testing of math teachers in
>schools in which 30 percent or more students fail the math portion

of>>the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System, or MCAS, exam.
Cellucci has said that the diagnostic test will help the state
improve>>the quality of instruction and help teachers improve their
skills. He
>>has said he plans to publicly identify teachers who fail and
and>require local communities to pay for remedial training.

Districts would seek to improve failing teachers' skills with
>"professional development plans," which could include remedial
>training in weak areas.

State Education Commissioner David T. Driscoll, who is a former math
>teacher, said the lawsuit was not unexpected.

"We are going to move ahead with our plans to pilot the test this
>summer, and we are going to move ahead with implementing the test
>until told otherwise," Driscoll said.

The teacher testing plan, unanimously supported by the state board,
>will begin as a pilot program this summer, and by fall will be
>implemented statewide, according to Department of

Education>officials.
>Marsha Cohen, a spokesman for the Attorney General's Office,
said>they
>received the complaint Friday afternoon and would respond after
>reviewing the complaint.

John D'Auria, principal of Wellesley Middle School, called the
teacher>>testing plan "a simplistic way of dealing with a complicated
>problem.">"The qualities that go into a good teacher and a skillful
teacher are
>>not imbedded in the test, as far as I can see," D'Auria said. "I
>don't>have much hope that they will lead to any real changes."

He said that he hoped that urban schools, which are likely to be hit
>with most of the tests, will work together with affluent suburban
>schools to halt the testing plan.

"From my perspective, I have lost confidence in the leadership of the
>department of education, and we really need to take a stand,"
D'Auria>>said.

Date Subject Author
4/25/00
Read Testing Math Teachers
Laura Barrett
4/25/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Anne Wheelock
4/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Pete Gilmore
4/27/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Andreae Downs
4/27/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Jim Hamos
4/28/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Pete Gilmore
4/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
lyn heady
4/25/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Claire Graham
4/25/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Gloria Moran
4/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Ron Barndt
4/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Laura Barrett
4/27/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Anne Collins
4/27/00
Read Re: Teacher Test Forum Dates
Laura Barrett
5/4/00
Read Math Teachers Tests: DOE Press release
Anne Wheelock
5/15/00
Read Re: Math Teachers Tests: DOE Press release
Joseph Caruso
5/15/00
Read Re: Math Teachers Tests: DOE Press release
Joseph Caruso
6/19/00
Read Re: Math Teachers Tests: DOE Press release
[no author]
5/4/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Laura Barrett
5/25/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers-response by Supts
Peg Bondorew
5/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Bill Kendall
5/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Andreae Downs
5/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Gloria Moran
5/26/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Gloria Moran
6/19/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Anne Collins
6/21/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Michael Bresnahan
7/1/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers - Unions take action
[no author]
7/2/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers - Unions take action
[no author]
7/2/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers - Unions take action
[no author]
7/2/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers - Unions take action
[no author]
9/17/03
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
Jean Adair
7/7/00
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers - News report 7/7
[no author]
7/9/00
Read Re: Mass. struggling to find math teachers
Anne Wheelock
7/9/00
Read Re: Mass. struggling to find math teachers
[no author]
2/12/01
Read Testing Math Teachers
Ken Worsley
2/22/01
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
[no author]
2/25/01
Read Re: Testing Math Teachers
[no author]
2/25/01
Read Testing Math Teachers? We've earned a bonus!
Ken Worsley
4/13/01
Read Re: Testing Teachers
msmith