Topic: NYTimes article on "parent rebellion."
Replies: 9   Last Post: May 20, 2000 9:33 AM

Jim Kaput

Re: responding to Ny Times

On 11 May 2000, Anne Wheelock wrote:
>Mary -- You might also refer to research on specific curricula based
>on NCTM standards. For example, research on CMP is posted on line at
><a

href="http://www.math.msu.edu/cmp/probTch.html#Analysis">http://www.math.msu.edu/cmp/probTch.html#Analysis

-- and elsewhere on
>the CMP site. Anne
Anne, Mary, and colleagues:
There's a serious "story behind the story" of that NYT article. It is
not likely to affect responses to it directly, but you should know
that the reporter was seriously involved in fomenting the "rebellion"
herself, seriously misrepresented almost all aspects of what she
purported to report (including a project that I am part of in NJ), and
will be the subject of serious stories herself in the not too distant
future, stories that will reveal incontrovertibly how biased that
story really was.

Keep in mind that whatever you write will likely become part of the
cumulative story. Needless to say, the suggestions previously offered
are in good alignment with the facts of the situation.
Cheers,
Jim K