Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

Dan Goodman

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

It's an interesting article, although I have a few criticisms of Natapoff's
analysis. Firstly, the notion of voter power, is it meaningful? It doesn't
seem to be to me. Secondly, assuming that it is meaningful, it seems
(although it's not entirely clear from the article) that he is comparing the
expected voting power of a randomly chosen individual in the two systems
under consideration, and it isn't clear that this is the best comparison
(how about comparing the minimum voting powers as would be suggested by a
minimax idea?).

I came up with an interesting idea which I haven't really had much time to
play with yet, the idea of "random democracy". Rather than choosing the
president (or whatever) based on who has the most votes (be they electoral
college or individual votes), you get everyone to vote, and then you
randomly (uniformly) select an individual vote from all the votes cast and
make the decision based solely on that. Statistically speaking it's superior
to the "maximum number of votes" principle, because everyone's vote is
(statistically) of exactly equal value, whereas this isn't true in a
traditional system (for example, voting for Nader effectively nullifies your
vote as far as choosing the president is concerned, although it does serve
another purpose). Of course, there are problems with this system, but I
think it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

Dan Goodman

Chip Eastham <chip_eastham@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Check out this nontechnical discussion of a mathematical analysis of
> the democratic virtue of the Electoral College in choosing the U.S.
> Presidents:
>
> http://www.avagara.com/e_c/reference/00012001.htm
>
> Regards,
> Chip
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson