Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

denis-feldmann

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

Jim Dars <jim_dars@email.msn.com> a écrit dans le message :
3a0e61ba@defiant.btitelecom.net...

> and then you

> >>randomly (uniformly) select an individual vote from all the votes cast
and
> >>make the decision based solely on that.
> >
> Hi All,
>
> Long, long ago (about 50 years) I read a science fiction story wherein a
> computer selected a single individual and he would decide the election.

(I
> don't remember if the computer used intelligent or random selection --- I
> believe the individual was the "most" representative of the population.)
> The guy was nervous, of course, and didn't sleep well. A government
> official came by and asked him what he thought of the price of eggs, etc.
> Alas, I remember not the story title, author, or outcome,

It's a classical Isaac Asimov story (1955). Called "Franchise" ,IIRC, it is
the story of one Normal Muller, selected by Multivac as the typical elector,
indeed. At the end, from his answers to the official questionnary , the huge
computer deduces what would be the result of the election, but , of course,
the guy is not allowed to know his own "vote" before the official
publication of the results.

> Best wishes, Jim

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson