Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

Herman Rubin

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

In article <_PcS5.3766$%r1.16701@news1.atl>,
Chip Eastham <eastham@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Dan Goodman" <dog@fcbobDOTdemon.co.uk> wrote in message

>> p.s. the Isaac Asimov story isn't that much like my random democracy idea,
>> because the vote is effectively made by Multivac, I haven't read the story
>> but I'm sure this is the idea. The whole point of the random democracy

>idea
>> is to get rid of the fiction of a "best" government that "most represents"
>> the views of the populace, as this is an unattainable ideal (cf. Arrow's
>> paper "A Difficulty in the Concept of Social Welfare" in the Journal of
>> Political Economy volume 58 issue 4), and to replace it with a government
>> that is statistically unbiased.

>Dan,

>I thought the sci-fi analogy was pretty close, though in some of Asimov's
>stories it did seem that Multivacs was able to predict human actions before
>they occurred, though not necessarily with 100% accuracy.

>One wonders if the ancient Greeks would have fought as hard for
>"statistically unbiased" government as they did for the "fiction" of one
>that "most represents" those governed.

What does "statistically unbiased" mean here? In statistics,
an unbiased estimator is one whose expectation is the value
of the parameter; in testing, an unbiased test is one for
which the probability of rejection under any alternative is
at least as great as under the null hypothesis.

If one adds randomization, the proof of the Arrow Paradox
becomes extremely short; the problem is that the utility
function has an arbitrary scale parameter.

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson