Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

Dan Goodman

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

> I still have no idea what you mean by "random democracy".
> Whatever voting scheme you propose, one can produce a
> situation in which the results will be paradoxical.

OK, I explained in an earlier posting what I meant by it, maybe it's
disappeared from your news server by now? Anyway, here's the relevant
section:

I wrote:
> I came up with an interesting idea which I haven't really had much time to
> play with yet, the idea of "random democracy". Rather than choosing the
> president (or whatever) based on who has the most votes (be they electoral
> college or individual votes), you get everyone to vote, and then you
> randomly (uniformly) select an individual vote from all the votes cast and
> make the decision based solely on that. Statistically speaking it's

superior
> to the "maximum number of votes" principle, because everyone's vote is
> (statistically) of exactly equal value, whereas this isn't true in a
> traditional system (for example, voting for Nader effectively nullifies

your

You wrote:
> Let me first state what the essence of Arrow's thesis is.

Hey, no need to tell me, I've read his paper :)

> It is well known that all of the voting schemes fail,
> including whatever yours may be, if we could figure out
> what it is.

OK, but my point is not that I have a voting scheme which finds the "best"
action to take on the preferences of society. That (as Arrow showed) isn't
possible. Instead, I propose a fair voting system which is not guaranteed to
produce "best" results in any sense. However, that shouldn't be held against
it because NO voting system can produce "best" results. Given that you can't
achieve a "best" voting system, why not try for a fair one instead?

Dan Goodman

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson