Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

Steve Lord

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Gerry Myerson wrote:

> In article <8uhgqv$b80$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>, "Dan Goodman"
> <dog@fcbobDOTdemon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > I came up with an interesting idea which I haven't really had much
> > time to play with yet, the idea of "random democracy". Rather than
> > choosing the president (or whatever) based on who has the most votes
> > (be they electoral college or individual votes), you get everyone to
> > vote, and then you randomly (uniformly) select an individual vote
> > from all the votes cast and make the decision based solely on that.

> Many years ago someone wrote a short story based on a similar idea.
> The premise was that some day computers would be so good at
> modeling social behavior that they would be able to select the one
> American who most closely models the entire electorate; then, by
> asking that one elector a number of questions about his or her
> opinions on various matters the computer would be able to decide
> whom the country really wanted to be the next President.
>
> The story must go back at least 35 years, maybe even 45 - wish I
> could remember the title, who wrote it, ....

Asimov, I believe. I'm fairly certain the story involves Multivac, which
is an Asimov invention. Plus, Multivac knowing everything about the
populace is a standard theme for Asimov stories involving
it. Unfortunately, I don't remember the title of the book in which it was
printed, nor do I have it in my apartment. However, *searches* maybe it
was "The Ten-Second Election" (Omni, Nov 1984, p. 112) You can check the
alt.books.isaac-asimov newsgroup, if you're really interested.

Steve L

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson