Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

Barry Schwarz

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:23:17 +1000, Gerry Myerson
<gerry@mpce.mq.edu.au> wrote:

>In article <8uhgqv$b80$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>, "Dan Goodman"
><dog@fcbobDOTdemon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> I came up with an interesting idea which I haven't really had much
>> time to play with yet, the idea of "random democracy". Rather than
>> choosing the president (or whatever) based on who has the most votes
>> (be they electoral college or individual votes), you get everyone to
>> vote, and then you randomly (uniformly) select an individual vote
>> from all the votes cast and make the decision based solely on that.

>Many years ago someone wrote a short story based on a similar idea.
>The premise was that some day computers would be so good at
>modeling social behavior that they would be able to select the one
>American who most closely models the entire electorate; then, by
>asking that one elector a number of questions about his or her
>opinions on various matters the computer would be able to decide
>whom the country really wanted to be the next President.
>
>The story must go back at least 35 years, maybe even 45 - wish I
>could remember the title, who wrote it, ....
>
>Gerry Myerson (gerry@mpce.mq.edu.au)

I seem to recall it being Isaac Asimov.

<<Remove the del for email>>

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson