Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:18:11 GMT, Chip Eastham
<chip_eastham@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Check out this nontechnical discussion of a mathematical analysis of
>the democratic virtue of the Electoral College in choosing the U.S.
>Presidents:

He defines a voter's "power" as the probability that that vote
will decide the election. I don't see that this is all that
well-defined, but more to the point I don't see why we should
accept that it's a good thing! Why should we _want_ to
maximize the probability that an individual's vote will
determine the election???

Seems like a _bad_ idea to me. Right now it appears
that the election may well be decided by a very small number
of votes in a few counties in Florida. I don't think that anyone
thinks this is desirable. And if it were a straight popular
vote it would not be so.

Curious. Say you're living in a state that's overwhelmingly
for candidate XXX and you favor candidate A. Your vote has
essentially no effect under the current system - under a straight
popular vote it would have the same effect as everyone else's.
Maximizing voter's "power" is a good thing, but equating this
"power" with the probability that the vote will decide the
election is absurd. The electoral system acts to _minimize_ the
power of a lot of voters.

>http://www.avagara.com/e_c/reference/00012001.htm
>
>Regards,
>Chip
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson