Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue

On 20 Nov 2000 06:27:49 GMT, kramsay@aol.commangled (Keith Ramsay)
wrote:

>[...] When people say, "your vote counts" and things like that,
>they do NOT normally mean "there's a substantial probability that if
>all other voters had voted the same way as they actually did, but you
>voted differently, that the outcome would be different". I never have
>heard anyone say that, and I don't think it's a faithful precision on
>what they do mean.

I hadn't seen anyone say that either, until I looked at
the link in the post at the top of this thread. That _is_ more or
less the definition of a voter's "power" in that link.

Curious that when I said I agreed that we should
maximize a voter's power but said this seemed like a
silly definition of "a voter's power" the replies I got didn't
say anything about the question of what the definition should
be. Probably that's because I'm a crackpot.

David C. "Fuck you, Bill - you know when you say things
like that you should really clarify what you're confused about
when people ask, _especially_ when one of the relevant
issues is whether people can justify what they say, or you
claim you're trying to 'emulate' Baez..." Ullrich

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson