Topic: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 30, 2007 6:07 AM

LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE

Re: The Powerless Voter

I would have to say that what you contend only happens in elections
which are not perfect. In a perfect world, The voting method would
somehow be statistically impervious to any type of scrutiny, whether it
be from the media, the candidates or their followers. Although I cannot
answer the original question, I do believe that it depends on the
circumstances of the election as to whether a single vote could win it.

Danny Purvis wrote:

> Key to the cited discussion is the following passage:
>

> >These insights came quickly, but it was many years before Natapoff
> >devised his formal mathematical proof. His starting point was the
> >concept of voting power. In a fair election, he saw, each voter’s
> >power boils down to this: What is the probability that one person’s
> >vote will be able to turn a national election? The higher the
> >probability, the more power each voter commands.

> I would argue that, by the definition above, each voter has no power.
> A difference of one vote in millions is not measureable, and thus the
> probability is zero that one vote can swing a national election. As
> the present national election demonstrates, a national election which
> ends in a statistical tie is settled not by votes but by a chaotic
> legal and propaganda war, the type of struggle in which the
> unprincipled rascal has a definite advantage. A single vote is
> statistically insignificant and thus cannot break a statistical tie.

Date Subject Author
11/10/00
Read Math and the electoral college's virtue
chip_eastham@my-deja.com
11/10/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Marc Fleury
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jim Dars
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
denis-feldmann
11/14/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Chip Eastham
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Herman Rubin
11/22/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Dan Goodman
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Jon and Mary Frances Miller
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Gerry Myerson
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ronald Bruck
11/12/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Steve Lord
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Barry Schwarz
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Alan Morgan
11/11/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/13/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/16/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Robert Harrison
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Keith Ramsay
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Mike Oliver
11/20/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
David C. Ullrich
11/17/00
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
useless_bum@my-deja.com
11/28/00
Read The Powerless Voter
Danny Purvis
11/28/00
Read Re: The Powerless Voter
LOUIS RAYMOND GIELE
3/30/07
Read Re: Math and the electoral college's virtue
Ross Finlayson