The Math Forum

Topic: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jan 22, 2001 6:02 PM

Damiano Scapeccia

Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals

Il Tue, 02 Jan 2001 02:41:47 GMT, saxon970@yahoo.com ha scritto:

>Hello. I have some questions about how to approach the problem below:
>
>How many pairs of positive integers a and b are there such that a < b
>and
>1/a + 1/b = 1/2001 ?
>
>End of problem.
>
>Is trial and error and making a manual list the way to go?

Three pairs.

2001 = 3*23*29

1/( 4*23*29) + 1/( 4*3*23*29) = 1/(3*23*29)
1/(24* 3*29) + 1/(24*3*23*29) = 1/(3*23*29)
1/(30* 3*23) + 1/(30*3*23*29) = 1/(3*23*29)

a b
----- -------
2668 8004
2088 48024
2070 60030

Damiano

Date Subject Author
1/1/01
Read Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
saxon970@yahoo.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Steve Lord
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Dik T. Winter
1/3/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Philip Anderson
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
355113@my-deja.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Randy Poe
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/12/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/22/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Brian Evans
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Dave Seaman
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Damiano Scapeccia
1/7/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Adam Stephanides