The Math Forum

Topic: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Replies: 65   Last Post: Mar 17, 2001 11:59 PM

Ross A. Finlayson

Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying

In hyperintegers, not FLT.

Peter Percival wrote:

> hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu wrote:
> >
> > In article <3a6506aa.270916173@news.newsguy.com>,
> > randyp@visionplace.com (Randy Poe) wrote:

> > > The reason is that if he admits that saying "x and y are integers" is
> > > insufficient to discuss the behavior of (x+sqrt(-1)y) here, he'd have
> > > to admit it's insufficient in the FLT proof.

> > Yes.
> >
> > But, nothing will be lost for James Harris if he would admit that
> > he is working in the field of complex numbers, and a lot would be
> > gained since he could use all the theorems proved for complex
> > numbers.
> >
> > However, this would only serve to make his statements to be
> > meaningful and allow him to define things like "mod" and
> > "fractional". He would still need to specify a subring of
> > the complex numbers, since the complex numbers contain "too
> > many" numbers for what he wants to do.
> >
> > James Harris has admitted that he is working in at least two
> > distinct rings: ring of integers and ring of polynomials.
> > His statements in the proof also imply that he is working
> > in the ring of complex numbers and the ring of symbolic
> > expressions (like sqrt(x^2+y^2)).
> >
> > My first impressions were that he was working in just a
> > subring of the complex numbers. When he claimed that
> > he was also working in the ring of polynomials, I thought
> > that would not be possible since he is using the equation
> > x^5+y^5 = z^5, which is not true in a polynomial ring.
> > But, he nicely got out of that problem by eliminating
> > the z and claiming that he is also working in the ring
> > of symbolic expressions. This clarification has helped
> > a lot. But, now he is going to the other extreme of

> Sorry, but it hasn't helped me. Ring of integers, I understand. Ring
> of complex numbers, I understand. And if I didn't I could look them up
> in an algebra book. Ring of polynomials? Well, it's nearly ok. But
> what indeterminants and what coefficients? But ring of symbolic
> expressions? Hell, everything that any mathematician has written down
> is a symbolic expression (and I'm including letters to his Mom). What
> is a ring of symbolic expressions? What are the elements? What are the
> operations + and * defined on them?
>
> What James _hopes_ it is, is something in which his "proof" will work;
> but he can't define it.
>

> > rejecting these known mathematical rings and he is
> > trying to create his own rings from scratch, which
> > will demand even more explanations and proofs than
> > what was originally required.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Hale
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

> --
> The from address is fictional
> peter dot percival at cwcom dot net

Date Subject Author
1/15/01
Read FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/15/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Dik T. Winter
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Charles H. Giffen
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Michael Hochster
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Peter Johnston
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Doug Norris
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Doug Norris
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Dik T. Winter
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Dik T. Winter
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/20/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/20/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
oooF
1/21/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
1/21/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Peter Percival
1/21/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/26/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Algebra...
Franz Fritsche
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
gus gassmann
1/20/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/20/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Doug Norris
1/26/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Matrix or not, that's NOT the question...
Franz Fritsche
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/17/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
1/20/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/21/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Peter Percival
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
3/17/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Ross A. Finlayson
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
1/18/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
hale@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
1/29/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
jstevh@my-deja.com
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Dik T. Winter
1/21/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Dennis Eriksson
[...]
Edward Carter
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
W. Dale Hall
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Michael Hochster
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/16/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
Randy Poe
1/17/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
W. Dale Hall
1/17/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying (Grammar fix)
W. Dale Hall
1/19/01
Read Re: FLT Discussion: Simplifying
oooF