Topic: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Replies: 52   Last Post: Sep 8, 1996 9:44 PM

Doug Easton

Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)

learn@u.washington.edu (Jerry Learn) wrote:

>In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.960829234509.7415G-100000@freenet.vcu.edu>,
>David Beorn <dbeorn@freenet.vcu.edu> wrote:

>> On 27 Aug 1996, Joan Shields wrote:

><snip>

>> > Just look at how variable HIV is. All these mutations all occuring at the
>> > same time - some are viable and some aren't. Some are better at surviving
>> > for a while or better at transmission or better at eluding drugs and the
>> > body's own systems.

>> But in all cases, it is STILL HIV, right?? I.e. no evolution occurred -
>> adaptation, variability of a species yes - but not evolution. No new
>> "creature" was created.
>>

>I am somewhat hesitant to become involved in this thread, but here goes:

>HIV has evolved and continues to evolve. There is substantial molecular
>evidence that HIV is closely related to immunodeficiency viruses (called
>SIV) found in nonhuman primates (vervets, macaques, mandrills, Syke's
>monkeys and chimps).

>You appear to be somewhat confused between speciation (the processes that
>generate new species) and evolution. I am not really prepared to discuss
>what constitutes a "species" of virus, but it is clear that by certain
>criteria HIV constitutes a different creature than SIV. I would postulate
>that the processes involved in the generation and selection of the
>variation in HIV are not qualitatively different from those that led to
>the transformation of SIV to HIV (or SIV to HIV, the data are still
>somewhat equivocal on this detail).

>_____
>Jerry Learn

>Research Associate

>Dept. of Microbiology | Learn@u.washington.edu
>University of Washington | Phone: (206) 616-4286

Yes, Jerry, and also the application of species names to non-sexual
"life forms" (viruses) is difficult. The biological species concept
breaks down under these conditions. Viruses do not have species names,
do they?

The fractional probability of a given state is not proof of its
existance nor is it sufficent to rule it out. It does provide a level
of confidence. There is ample other evidence than the
probability,based on particular assumptions ,that an particular
organism (or structure) has evolved, to support the concept of
evolution by natural selection. Who is to say that we are not
improbable beings?

-Doug Easton
SUNY College@Buffalo
E-Mail EASTONDP@SNYBUFAA.cs.sunybuf.edu
>Box 357740 |
>Seattle, WA 98195-7740 USA | FAX: (206) 616-1575

Date Subject Author
8/15/96
Read Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Andrew Singer
8/16/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Lluis Ribas
8/16/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Doug Yanega
8/17/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Leonard Evens
8/16/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
KIRKX L AUGUSTIN
8/17/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Leonard Evens
8/28/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Brian Williams
8/29/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Lauren Owens
8/30/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Paterson, Adrian Mark
8/18/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Felix J. Thibault
8/20/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Vincent R. Johns
8/21/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Larry Adams
8/23/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Richard M Kliman
8/25/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
David Beorn
8/26/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Vincent R. Johns
8/27/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Steve McGrew
8/27/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
James Foster
8/29/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
David Beorn
8/30/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
James Foster
8/31/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
L.A. Moran
9/3/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
James Foster
9/4/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
L.A. Moran
9/4/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
James Foster
9/4/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Ram Samudrala
9/4/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
James Foster
9/4/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Ram Samudrala
9/5/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
James Foster
9/5/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Ram Samudrala
9/6/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
James Foster
8/27/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Joan Shields
8/28/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Steve McGrew
8/29/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
David Beorn
8/30/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Jerry Learn
8/31/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Doug Easton
8/30/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Larry Edwards
8/30/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Doug Yanega
9/7/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
David Beorn
8/27/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
David Dixon
8/28/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Dana Gourley
8/30/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Herman Helmuth
9/6/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Jerry Clark
8/22/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Truett L Smith
8/28/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Brian Williams
8/23/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Karl
8/24/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Steve McGrew
8/25/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Arthur Chandler
8/21/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
vorsterd@iafrica.com
8/22/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Anthony Campbell
8/22/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Mary K. Kuhner
8/31/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Arthur Chandler
9/4/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
David Wilson
9/6/96
Read Re: Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)
Ram Samudrala
9/8/96