Topic: fourth grade geometry question???
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 6, 2007 9:37 PM

Alexander Bogomolny

Re: fourth grade geometry question???

On 9 Sep 04 22:26:08 -0400 (EDT), karen wrote:
>On 28 Aug 02 23:22:36 -0400 (EDT), Diane wrote:
>>Draw a quadrangle that has 2 pairs of equal sides but is NOT a
>>parallelogram.
>>Does this seem like 4th grade to anyone? I finally got the answer

but
>>we have no book to use as a reference.
>
>My daughter just presented this question as well. Only by looking at
>the response generated from your question here on the net(from Walter
>somebody who appears to be a mathematics statistician ) did I get it.
>Now my 9 year old has assured me that she is smarter than me because
>she actually had an answer that I didn't think was correct until I
>read Mr. Math professor's answer.

What I do not understand about this remark is that how is it possible
not to acknowledge an answer when it does solve the problem. The kite
does have two pairs of equal sides. If that's what your daughter
brought as an answer then, by inspection, you might have verified that
it was correct. Why would not it?

Alexander Bogomolny
http://www.cut-the-knot.org