Topic: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
Replies: 38   Last Post: Dec 16, 2010 10:17 AM

Laike

Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:13:55 -0500 (EST), John Conway wrote:
>On 19 Jan 2004, Dr. Bluca wrote:
>

>> A pentagon is a 5-sided polygon.
>> A hexagon is a 6-sided polygon.
>> A heptagon is a 7-sided polygon.
>> Prefixes...
>> tri- 3, quadri- 4, penta- 5, hexa- 6, hepta- 7, octa- 8, nona- 9,
>> deca- 10

> But "nona-" is really incorrect, the "official" prefix for 9
>in this context being the Greek-derived one "ennea-". The sequence
>continues up to 100 thus: hendeca, dodeca, triskaideca,

tetrakaideca,...,
>enneakaideca, icosa, icosikaihena, icosikaidi, icosikaitri,...
>icosikaiennea, triaconta, triacontakaidi, ... , enneacontakaiennea,

hecta.

> Antreas Hatzipolakis and I once worked out a consistent

continuation
>to 100,000.
>
> John Conway

Dear Mr. Conway,
I was wondering if you could assist me in my persuit for
knowledge. As odd as it may sound its actually quite essential to my
research that i know. I've searched the internet thoroughly and cant
seem to find exactly what im looking for. I have a series of questions
for you, i hope your up to it.If i ask to know about something that
isnt possible or doesnt exist i would be more than willing to hear a
detailed explanation if your willing to produce one. What is the name
of a 61 sided figure in Latin, English and greek? Will the name of
this figure change if it consists of triangles, pentagons, hexagons,
..., or dodecagons? Finally, will the figure still have the same name
if the sides of the figure are concave?
If you could assist me in this matter i would be more grateful
than i believe that i can express in words. Thank you for your time
sir.

Sincerely,
-Laike-

Date Subject Author
8/24/97
Read What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
J. Stefanek
8/25/97
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
Sarah Seastone
10/9/03
Read what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
geoffy
10/12/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
10/13/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
John Conway
10/13/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
10/13/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
Ed Wall
10/13/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
Mary Krimmel
10/13/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
Steve Earth
10/14/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
John Conway
5/3/06
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
brandon park
5/27/06
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
bgormalley@gmail.com
12/8/03
Read Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called
chris
12/12/03
Read Reply to "Re: what is an 11-20 sided polygon called"
Eur Ing Panagiotis Stefanides
11/25/03
Read math
india
3/8/04
Read your reply
tyesha
1/8/04
Read mat
Lavonte Smith
1/19/04
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?"
Dr. Bluca
1/20/04
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?"
John Conway
9/17/04
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
Laike
5/3/06
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
brandon park
5/3/06
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
brandon park
3/22/04
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
Alex Hebert
3/23/04
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
Mary Krimmel
8/25/97
Read polygon names
J. Stefanek
8/25/97
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
John Conway
12/3/03
Read Reply to "Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?"
Eur Ing Panagiotis Stefanides
12/2/03
Read 9, 10, 11, 12 sided figures are called.....
Lauren
4/16/07
Read Re: 9, 10, 11, 12 sided figures are called.....
Paris
2/6/08
Read Re: 9, 10, 11, 12 sided figures are called.....
???
2/25/08
Read Re: 9, 10, 11, 12 sided figures are called.....
K. E. Pledger
3/6/08
Read Re: 9, 10, 11, 12 sided figures are called.....
xamcire
12/16/10
Read Re: 9, 10, 11, 12 sided figures are called.....
chase
3/7/04
Read I found a site on this..
Jack
5/30/06
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
NealAgMan@aol.com
5/30/06
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
Joshua Zucker
5/30/06
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
NealAgMan@aol.com
2/26/08
Read Re: What's a 9,11,12,etc-sided figure called?
Rich Kleinschmidt
2/27/08