Topic: What is infinity minus one?
Replies: 25   Last Post: Jun 7, 2013 10:01 PM

Tim Brauch

Re: What is infinity minus one?

g_vagor@hotmail.com (Beston Kader) wrote in news://vdfob6vb0f6a@legacy:

> answer to your question:
>
> infinity = 1/0 ---> 1=0*infinity

A slight wave of the hand here, no? For surely you are not saying
0*infinity is 1, I could understand saying it is zero, I could understand
saying it is infinity. But surely not one.

How about this then:

infinity = 2/0 ---> 2 = 0*infinity = 1 ---> 2 = 1 ---> 0 = 1

Uh oh.

> infinity - 1 = infinity-0*infinity = infinity(1-0) = infinity
>

> --->
>
> infinity - 1 = infinity

Perhaps this will work better...

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 +.... tends towards infinity

Subtracting 1 gives

1 - 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + .... = 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + ...

which also tends towards infinity. By this logic, infinity less any finite
number is still infinite. And infinity - infinity is not defined. (You
know why?)

- Tim

--
Timothy M. Brauch