Topic: Which prices are fake?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Sep 23, 2004 3:10 PM

Martin Penderis

Re: Which prices are fake?

glenbarnett@geocities.com (Glen) wrote in message news:<bd343329.0409162012.4ca45af4@posting.google.com>...
> tafeltennis@mwpenderis.mailshell.com (Martin Penderis) wrote in message news:<e4fa4b6f.0409161037.2f96728a@posting.google.com>...
> > One of the following two lists gives the closing prices of shares in a
> > certain section (company names are not given). The other list was
> > made up.
> > List 1:
> > 84, 1347, 20, 202, 100, 829, 828, 970, 257, 540, 319, 605, 1591, 640,
> > 9900, 254, 310, 541, 487, 810, 415, 370, 96, 466, 274, 751, 540, 1660,
> > 1060, 490
> > List 2:
> > 54, 462, 97, 2164, 850, 527, 53, 18, 46, 422, 69, 23, 555, 347, 933,
> > 4216, 666, 925, 89, 96, 197, 208, 58, 223, 652, 290, 765, 98, 222, 17
> > Which list is the one that was made up? What is your reason for
> > choosing that one?
> > If you do not know where to start, do a search on Benford's rule.

> I suggest you do exactly as the last sentence says, and search
> for "Benford's rule". It would have taken no more effort than
> posting your homework did.
>
> Glen

Homework?

As a mathematician/statistician/somebody who is interested in
statistics you should either not make assumptions, or have a valid
reason for believing your assumption to be true.

One list was taken from a newspaper of 16 September (closing prices of
the previous day). The other list was fabricated by me. This of course
means that I do know the answer without having to do any calculations
(actually I have forgotten which one, but that is no problem).

If you go to sci.math you will see that I very recently posted a reply
to someone who asked whether logarithms still had some use. In that I
mentioned Benford's rule. That set me off to post something in this
forum. I thought I would post it in this form; a few readers might
find it interesting. I have done quite a lot of reading on Benford's
rule.

The only purpose your post seems to have served is to put a block on
the thread.