Topic: Which prices are fake?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Sep 23, 2004 3:10 PM

Richard Ulrich

Re: Which prices are fake?

On 17 Sep 2004 10:57:02 -0700, tafeltennis@mwpenderis.mailshell.com
(Martin Penderis) wrote:

> glenbarnett@geocities.com (Glen) wrote in message news:<bd343329.0409162012.4ca45af4@posting.google.com>...
> > tafeltennis@mwpenderis.mailshell.com (Martin Penderis) wrote in message news:<e4fa4b6f.0409161037.2f96728a@posting.google.com>...
> > > One of the following two lists gives the closing prices of shares in a
> > > certain section (company names are not given). The other list was
> > > made up.
> > > List 1:
> > > 84, 1347, 20, 202, 100, 829, 828, 970, 257, 540, 319, 605, 1591, 640,
> > > 9900, 254, 310, 541, 487, 810, 415, 370, 96, 466, 274, 751, 540, 1660,
> > > 1060, 490
> > > List 2:
> > > 54, 462, 97, 2164, 850, 527, 53, 18, 46, 422, 69, 23, 555, 347, 933,
> > > 4216, 666, 925, 89, 96, 197, 208, 58, 223, 652, 290, 765, 98, 222, 17
> > > Which list is the one that was made up? What is your reason for
> > > choosing that one?
> > > If you do not know where to start, do a search on Benford's rule.

> > I suggest you do exactly as the last sentence says, and search
> > for "Benford's rule". It would have taken no more effort than
> > posting your homework did.
> >
> > Glen

> Homework?
>
> As a mathematician/statistician/somebody who is interested in
> statistics you should either not make assumptions, or have a valid
> reason for believing your assumption to be true.

Well, gee, Martin, if you don't want your post to be
Replied to as if it were a homework problem -
posted in the laziest HW style (verbatim, including
the Teacher's hint) - then don't word it like
a homework problem.

You've posted here occasionally (I see from group.google),
so you should have noticed that sci.stat.math suffers
from an excess of Homework posts. That's partly due to
link provided by Math Forum.

You may have also noticed that if there is any
interesting complexity to the Original Post, it gets some
commentary anyway.

> One list was taken from a newspaper of 16 September (closing prices of
> the previous day). The other list was fabricated by me. This of course
> means that I do know the answer without having to do any calculations
> (actually I have forgotten which one, but that is no problem).
>
> If you go to sci.math you will see that I very recently posted a reply
> to someone who asked whether logarithms still had some use. In that I
> mentioned Benford's rule. That set me off to post something in this
> forum. I thought I would post it in this form; a few readers might
> find it interesting. I have done quite a lot of reading on Benford's
> rule.

You might google also for "Zipf's Law" - it has more hits on
the Web, though fewer hits in Groups.

> The only purpose your post seems to have served is to put a block on
> the thread.

Newbies should be warned off from answering homework -
that will only encourage - so that's fine with most of us.

--
Rich Ulrich, wpilib@pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html