Topic: 0! = 1
Replies: 25   Last Post: Oct 8, 2003 6:35 AM

Virgil

Re: 0! = 1

In article <IY_c7.168$Iw2.8744@petpeeve.ziplink.net>,
"Duane Jones" <gauss@ziplink.net> wrote:

> "Virgil" <vmhjr2@home.com> wrote in message

> > In article <3b73c07e.0@katana.legend.co.uk>,
> > "Carl W." <no-one@dev.null> wrote:
> >

> > > Virgil <vmhjr2@home.com> wrote in message

> > > This is a slightly dodgy argument in that we could say the same for n =

> 0.
> > >
> > > i.e. if n! = n((n-1)!), and n = 0, what is (n-1)!?

> > Not so. Anyone can solve 1 = 1*x for x, which defines x = 0! but how
> > do you solve 1 = 0*x for x, which is needed to define x = (0-1)! ?

> How so? In (2) above, 1! can only be defined after knowing 0!. You
> inadvertently assume 1! = 1 to show that 0! = 1.
>
> Cheers,
> Duane

You are not following the thread. Carl W. assumed 1! = 1 but that 0!
was naturally undefined.

Carl W. then said that if 0! could be found from 1! by downward use
of the relation n! = n*(n-1)!, then (0-1)! be found from 0!
similarly.

I was refuting that thesis.