Topic: pari - state of the art?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 16, 2001 10:13 AM

myrdraal_lord@yahoo.com

Re: pari - state of the art?

> "Helmut Richter" <Helmut.Richter@lrz-muenchen.de> wrote in message

> > I am looking for a general-purpose toolkit to do calculations with
> > large integers and also in similar algebraic structures. Several years
> > ago I heard about "pari", which, according to what I read about it,
> > seems to meet my expectations. Now my question to this group: is
> > "pari" still one of the favourite tools of the number-theoretic guild,
> > or has another tool emerged and is now considered better (easier to
> > use, more the state of the art, or whatever)?
> >
> > Helmut Richter

Pari is mostly for the unixes. Pari is a great shell calculator :-|
and contains many basic number-theory operations. I have looked at
some implementations of its functions and they seem quite up to date,
yet somewhat slow. This must be the result of a slow multi-precision
package so be warned. Otherwise it contains most of what you would
want for general number theory problems and calculations. I personally
perfer Mathematica 4.1 and pari as my two most utilized calculators.