The Math Forum

Topic: why do you like math?
Replies: 38   Last Post: Apr 25, 2006 2:00 AM

Nico Benschop

Re: why do you like math?

Chan-Ho Suh wrote:
> "Robin Chapman" <rjc@maths.ex.ac.uk> wrot:
> > "Nico Benschop" <n.benschop@chello.nl> wrot
> > >
> > > Precisely ;-) http://arXiv.org/abs/math.HO/0103051 -- NB

> > This contains a reference to the bogus MS
> > "Triplets and symmetries of arithmetic mod p^k"
> > as well as this shameless lie:
> > "The FLT proof via elliptic curves
> > (A. Wiles, Annals of Mathematics, May 1995)
> > blocked further interest in an simpler proof. ... ".

> I've searched in the archives of sci.math, and the last I can find of
> the Chapman vs. Benschop struggle is in "Benschop Publication Update",
> 24 June 2001.
> Am I correct in assuming Benschop lost this one?

First: I do not consider sci.math as part of a one-up-manship game.

Second: Long ago RC did give some useful response, to which I reacted
by thanking him, and by improving the relevant text.

Third: Apart from that, he seems to be unable to sustain a normal
discussion - viz. without insults (e.g. above: "shameless lie",
or of he thinks there is still a mistake, even after I made a
correction, he just repeats 'bogus' without any explanation)

Fourth: He adorns my killfile now, because his responses by now are
monotonous, insulting and totally useless (for the above
reason),
and bad for my blood pressure, to be tempted to respond in kind.

Fifth: There are correspondents who are much more constructive in
commenting on my work (Chas Brown, Derek Holt, to mention a few)

Frankly, I suspect RC to be a frustrated loner in his math department,
and although knowledgeable enough, he obviously is not equipped for
normal and polite discussion. Which of course is a pity, & a waste of
potential. Very similar to the case of Pertti Lounesto (the two of
them are, or have been, constantly into each other's hair, so to speak
-- and I don't feel upto such harassing here on sci.math with RC or
in fact with anyone... As I said: bad for one's blood pressure;-(

-- NB -- http://www.iae.nl/users/benschop

PS: if *you* have anything relevant & constructive to contribute,
for instance Re: my papers on arXiv.org (URL see above),
then I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I suggest you spend your time
better than being involved in petty polemics here on sci.math;-)

Date Subject Author
9/3/01
Read why do you like math?
John Revere