The Math Forum

Topic: Math and music
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 20, 2004 7:38 AM

Robert Israel

Re: Math and music

In article <IPIbd.40134$cJ3.533@fed1read06>, lutonomy <lutonomy@cox.net> wrote:

>I remember that movie "A Beautiful Mind" where they show how the high level
>genius mathematicians don't think in literal "numbers" but rather shapes and
>contours.

They do no such thing, in that movie (which I guess you don't remember
very well: it had very little mathematics in it) or any other that I
know of.

I don't know of any mathematician who thinks in numbers. Mathematicians
sometimes think _about_ numbers, but they generally think in
concepts - maybe expressed in words, maybe geometrically, maybe both.

Robert Israel israel@math.ubc.ca
Department of Mathematics <a href="http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel">http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel</a>
University of British Columbia Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Subject Author
10/13/04
Read Math and music
David Dalton