Topic: Math and music
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 20, 2004 7:38 AM

Bob Pease

Re: Math and music

"Matthew Fields" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
&gt; In article &lt;ckopil$5hu@dispatch.concentric.net&gt;,
&gt; Bob Pease &lt;robertjp@askmeinapost.com&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;"Matthew Fields" &lt;spam@uce.gov&gt; wrote in message
&gt; &gt;<a href="news://7RQbd.210$2W4.24@news.itd.umich.edu...">news://7RQbd.210$2W4.24@news.itd.umich.edu...</a>
&gt; &gt;&gt; In article &lt;151020040538522534%suh@math.ucdavis.nospam.edu&gt;,
&gt; &gt;&gt; Chan-Ho Suh &lt;suh@math.ucdavis.nospam.edu&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;In article &lt;ckns9b$57k$1@nntp.itservices.ubc.ca&gt;, Robert Israel
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&lt;israel@math.ubc.ca&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; In article &lt;IPIbd.40134$cJ3.533@fed1read06&gt;, lutonomy
&gt; &gt;&lt;lutonomy@cox.net&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;I remember that movie "A Beautiful Mind" where they show how the
high
&gt; &gt;level
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;genius mathematicians don't think in literal "numbers" but rather
&gt; &gt;shapes and
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;contours.
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; They do no such thing, in that movie (which I guess you don't
remember
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; very well: it had very little mathematics in it) or any other that I
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; know of.
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; I don't know of any mathematician who thinks in numbers.
&gt; &gt;Mathematicians
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; sometimes think _about_ numbers, but they generally think in
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; concepts - maybe expressed in words, maybe geometrically, maybe
both.
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;I distinctively remember a scene in "A Beautiful Mind" where John Nash
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;looks at a bunch of numbers and they start glowing and dancing around.
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;So that refutes your statement.
&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; No, it doesn't. That's a *dramatization* created by Ron Howard in
&gt; &gt;&gt; consultation with his cinematographer, to try to illustrate conceptual
&gt; &gt;&gt; thinking. The scene is pure fiction--nobody knows what Nash did when
&gt; &gt;&gt; he consulted for the government, and Nash is not saying.
&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;Another thing the movie demonstrated is how little mathematical
&gt; &gt;&gt; &gt;research can progress if there aren't windows around to write on.
&gt; &gt;&gt;
&gt; &gt;&gt; Ah, well, in that case, that refutes your statement. ppffft!
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;Actually it would be easy to demonstrate a strong correlation between the
&gt; &gt;amount of moisture condensation on the inside of windows and strength of
the
&gt; &gt;mathematical communities in those locations!!
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;Bob Pease
&gt;
&gt; And it would be easy to demonstrate a strong corrolation between the
&gt; distance between North America and Europe and the greyness of my hair,
&gt; too!

Yup That's true

I think it's because folks in the Midwest don't use as much hair dye as in
California.
This causes a accumulation of surplus hair dye bottles in New York which
contributes to the continental drift.

Bob Pease

---

Date Subject Author