Topic: Math and music
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 20, 2004 7:38 AM

George Cox

Re: Math and music

Jon Slaughter wrote:

> ..

&gt; This is a quite from <a href="http://geodyne.com/schillinger/index.html#top:">http://geodyne.com/schillinger/index.html#top:</a>
&gt;
&gt; "Music has remained in the dark, without geometric form, because we still
&gt; refer to C as 1 instead of zero. Geometry begins with 0, not 1. With C as 0,
&gt; coherent visual form ensues. The twelve notes in our primary selective
&gt; system are used because 12 is the most versatile number; 12 is the smallest
&gt; number with the most divisors."
&gt;
&gt; Now, as an "advanced" mathematician, does that make sense to you? If it
&gt; does, then your not as advanced as you think.

The arrogance of "our"; which of the worlds many and diverse musical
cultures does that refer to?

0 would seem to be the smallest (non-negative) number with the most
divisors--assuming that that phrase means anything.

Date Subject Author
10/13/04
Read Math and music
David Dalton