Topic: Math and music
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 20, 2004 7:38 AM

David Webber

Re: Math and music

"Allen L. Barker" <alb@datafilter.com> wrote in message

&gt;...there are some
&gt; very nice and practical applications of group theory to
&gt; music.

Interestingly the operations of "moving by an interval from one
note to another" as is being discussed at length under "query about
compound intervals..." form a group. But only if you consider
"directed intervals" (otherwise there is no inverse). I think this
one of the things which underlies my eschewing the consideration of
positive intervals only.

Dave
--
David Webber
Author MOZART the music processor for Windows -

Date Subject Author
10/13/04
Read Math and music
David Dalton