The Math Forum

Topic: Math and music
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 20, 2004 7:38 AM

Matthew Fields

Re: Math and music

In article <ckrifm$oj5$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>,
David Webber <dave@musical.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>"graham breed" <usenet@microtonal.co.uk> wrote in message
&gt;<a href="news://2tcu4eF1ulan2U1@uni-berlin.de...">news://2tcu4eF1ulan2U1@uni-berlin.de...</a>
&gt;
&gt;&gt; You can get an inverse from undirected intervals by enforcing
&gt;&gt; octave equivalence. So a perfect fifth is the inverse of a
&gt;&gt; perfect fourth. I'm not sure if the result is a group ... or at
&gt;&gt; least one that makes sense. It wouldn't be "moving by an
&gt;&gt; interval" anyway, but building up chords.
&gt;
&gt;It is a group, but a smaller one - there are no 9ths etc. It
&gt;becomes like addition modulo 7 instead of addition.
&gt;
&gt;Dave
&gt;--
&gt;David Webber
&gt;Author MOZART the music processor for Windows -
&gt;<a href="http://www.mozart.co.uk">http://www.mozart.co.uk</a>
&gt;For discussion/support see
&gt;<a href="http://www.mozart.co.uk/mzusers/mailinglist.htm">http://www.mozart.co.uk/mzusers/mailinglist.htm</a>

In which case the distinction between interval, directed interval, and
transposition operator still all retain their salience.

--
Matthew H. Fields <a href="http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields">http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields</a>
Music: Splendor in Sound

Date Subject Author