Topic: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 8, 2004 2:31 AM

George Russell

Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate

Glen Low wrote (snipped):
> 1. Get a good exponentiation algorithm going. Probably split integer
> and fraction parts, then apply a squared Taylor expansion on the
> fractional part. For 24 bits of accuracy, probably end up with about 7
> multiplies. (I read some stuff about binary splitting, binary
> reduction and other esoteric algorithms, but I fail to see how they
> would reduce the number of multiplies -- anyone care to explain?)

Once you have take the first few terms of a power series to make a polynomial,
there are a number of tricks you can use to evaluate that polynomial with
fewer multiplications, which are outlined in Knuth's Art of Computer Programming,
section 4.6.4. For example a polynomial over the reals of degree 4 can be
evaluated with 3 multiplications and 5 additions, of degree 5, with 4 multiplications
and 5 additions, of degree 6, with 4 multiplications and 7 additions. There is a general
method for evaluating a real polynomial of degree n>=3 with (floor (n/2) + 2 )
multiplications and n additions.

These methods require some precomputation to generate the coefficients to be used,
but since the coefficients are constant in your case, that should not be a problem.

Date Subject Author
10/18/04
Read Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/18/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Jeremy Watts
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Peter Spellucci
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/18/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
bv
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
George Russell
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
George Russell
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/21/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Christer Ericson
10/21/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/22/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Christer Ericson
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Martin Brown
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Richard Mathar
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Gert Van den Eynde
10/20/04
[...]
10/23/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
bv
10/24/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Gert Van den Eynde
10/25/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Peter Spellucci
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Gert Van den Eynde
11/8/04