The Math Forum

Topic: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 8, 2004 2:31 AM

Peter Spellucci

Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate

In article <9215d7ac.0410220624.5902f53b@posting.google.com>,
glenlow@pixelglow.com (Glen Low) writes:
>> Some advice: try to eliminate the link in your head between "approximation"
>> and "taylor expansion" and replace it by "approximation" and "orthogonal
>> polynomials" :-) Taylor is good in a small neighbourhood around the point
>> of interest. Orthogonal polynomials are good in quite a large interval to
>> which you can almost always reduce your initial interval to.
>
>OK. Link eliminated :-)
>
>> > Qn: what tool did you use to generate the minimax polynomial?
>> >
>> Maple 9.51. The numapprox package, minimax function. The classical algorithm
>> associated with minimax approximations is the Remez algorithm (2nd version
>> of 1934, I don't have the exact reference at hand).
>
>Looks like I have to continue to rely on the kindness of strangers :-)
>, at least until next year when I might be in a position to purchase
>one. Or I might have a look at yacas.
>
>Could you or someone else supply the following minimax polynomials
>
>* sin(pi*x/2) for x in [0,1] OR in [0,1/2] and [1/2,1], 6 degrees up
>to 10e-7 or 8 relative error
>* log(x) for x in [0,1], either 6 degrees polynomial or 3/2 or 4/1
>rational (Pade?) polynomial with 10e-7 or 8 relative error

&gt;I had used <a href="http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/maths/funcs.htm">http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/maths/funcs.htm</a> as a source
&gt;for the coefficients but the error terms aren't what I wanted and I
&gt;still can't get down to the # of ulps I need.
&gt;
&gt;Cheers,
&gt;Glen Low, Pixelglow Software
&gt;www.pixelglow.com

if you have somewhere access to a pc with linux and gcc then you can do
anything you want yourself:
here is the remez-code:
click on remes.tgz
if you have access to a mat library then
this book will provide you with all information you need:
Zbl 0174.20402 Hart, J.F.; Cheney, E.W.; Lawson, C.L.; Maehly, H.J.; Mesztenyi, C.K.; Rice, J.R.; Tha cher, H.G.jun.; Witzgall, C.
Computer approximations (English)
The SIAM Series in Applied Mathematics. New York etc: John Wiley \&amp; Sons, Inc. X, 343 p. (1968).

hth
peter

Date Subject Author
10/18/04
Read Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/18/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Jeremy Watts
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Peter Spellucci
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/18/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
bv
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
George Russell
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
George Russell
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/21/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Christer Ericson
10/21/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/22/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Christer Ericson
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Martin Brown
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Richard Mathar
10/19/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Glen Low
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Gert Van den Eynde
10/20/04
[...]
10/23/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
bv
10/24/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Gert Van den Eynde
10/25/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Peter Spellucci
10/20/04
Read Re: Fast exponent and logarithm, given initial estimate
Gert Van den Eynde
11/8/04