Topic: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 14, 2005 12:57 PM

Nat Silver

Re: Geometry Textbook Suggestions for Gifted Math Program?

Karl M. Bunday wrote:

> I wonder what you would suggest as a best textbook for a first
> high-school-level geometry course for talented students? I'm trying to
> gather information to make a suggestion to a local mathematics program.

> I am aware of one program that formerly used Gene Murrow and Serge
> Lang's textbook Geometry (Springer-Verlag) and

Lang has written "upteen" texts. This is one I have not read,
but the reviews warn me off this one for gifted students.

> in recent years has used Michael Serra's textbook Discovering Geometry
> (Key Curriculum Press).

In my opinion, this text is inappropriate. It's designed for struggling
students.

> What do you think? If you were recommending a textbook for a class of
> students selected for high math ability taking a first secondary-level
> geometry course, what would you recommend? What do you like
> about your preferred textbook?

Look at: Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint, Third Edition
[FACSIMILE] by Edwin Moise. It's the one I would use. Read the reviews
on Amazon.com.