Topic: Diffy Puzzle
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 29, 2004 4:31 PM

Kevin Karplus

Re: Diffy Puzzle

In article <br52t05hmcbr4tdt3li0lgpqejjttmcr7f@4ax.com>, ted walko wrote:
> My son's teacher gave him diffy puzzles (specifically puzzle #3) to
> solve. Curious, if anyone knows of a comprehensive resource (text
> book) where I can get more of these puzzles?

Please give us more information about what a "diffy puzzle" is. What
age or grade is your son? Where does he go to school? (I'm guessing
somewhere in the USA from the .com address.) Since his teacher gave
him the puzzle, he or she may be the best contact to find out where
the puzzle came from.

Unfortunately, "diffy" is a rather generic slang term used to
abbreviate "difficult", "differential", and "different", so is not
much use in identifying the puzzle you mention.

The only relevant things I found on the web were

Name of activity: DIFFY
Grade level: 2 - 8
Source of activity: Smith, Seaton E. , Jr. & Backman, Carl A. (Ed.). (1975).
Games and Puzzles for Elementary and Middle School Mathematics:
Readings from the Arithmetic Teacher.
Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.

and

Diffy--This game was created by Herbert Wills. Place a 2-digit number
in each of the four corners of the Diffy game sheet as shown in Figure
#. Subtract the two numbers from each other and place the difference
between them. Continue in this manner until you get to all zeros or
complete the entire game sheet. [The web page did not include the
referenced figure.]

Kevin Karplus karplus@soe.ucsc.edu http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB starting Jan 2005)
Affiliations for identification only.